Flight From Police and Stolen Property
Media Release – Flight From Police and Possession of Stolen Property
On Sunday, May 31st at 1:57am an officer on general patrol observed a suspicious vehicle and occupant parked near a residence in Port Elgin.
An investigation revealed that the plates observed on the vehicle were reported stolen from an address in Georgian Bluffs to the Ontario Provincial Police.
Officers followed the vehicle on Goderich Street and attempted to conduct a traffic stop. The driver refused to stop and accelerated in a dangerous manner narrowly missing two police vehicles in the process. The vehicle was last seen travelling north towards Southampton. Officers did not engage in a vehicle pursuit.
Officers quickly identified the driver of the vehicle.
At 1:10 pm members of the Grey Bruce OPP located the male suspect at a motel in Georgians Bluffs and placed him under arrest.
A 34 year old Owen Sound man has been charged with:
- Possession of property obtained by crime - CC354(1)(a)
- Flight from police - CC320.17
- Dangerous operation - CC320.13(1)
- Operation while prohibited - CC320.18(1)(a)
- Fail to Comply with Probation (curfew)- CC733.1(1)
- Fail to Comply with Probation (fail to keep the peace) - CC733.1(1)
He was released with a court date.
Media Relations Officer,
Sergeant Andy Evans